Which Committee Recommended for Three Language Formula?
Kothari Committee recommends the “Three Language Formula” in 1968 under National Policy Resolution.
The Union Education Ministry of India formed a commission under supervision of Kothari to evolve a language learning formula as demanded by non-Hindi speaking states of Southern India like Karnataka, Tamilnadu and Andhra Pradesh.
The Three Language Formula:
- First language to be studied must be Mother Tongue
- Second Language:
- In Hindi speaking state – English or some other modern Indian language
- In non-Hindi speaking state – second language will be Hindi or English
- Third Language:
- In Hindi speaking state – English or modern Indian language apart from ‘Second Language’
- In non-Hindi speaking states – English or any other modern Indian language not studied as ‘Second Language’