The Generic Engineering Appraisal Committee is Constituted under the
Environment Protection Act 1986
The Generic Engineering Appraisal Committee is constituted under the Environment (Protection) Act, 1972. The Generic Engineering Appraisal Committee short for (GEAC) is the part of the Ministry of Environment under ‘Rules for Manufacture use/Import/Export and Storage of Hazardous Microorganisms/ Genetically Engineered Organisms or Cells 1989.
Under the Environment Protection Act, 1986 also define five competent authorities i.e.
- The Institutional Biosafety Committees (IBSC)
- Review Committee of Genetic Manipulation (RCGM)
- Genetic Engineering Approval Committee (GEAC)
- State Biotechnology Coordination Committee (SBCC)
- District Level Committee (DLC)
The Environment Protection Act was in March 1986 and came into force on 19 Nov. 1986). The Environment Department was instituted in 1980 in India and later In 1985 it became the Ministry of Environment and Forests. The main motto of this is to improve and provide the protection of environment.