Hastings Plan of 1772 is/are Correct?
Which of the following statements about the Hastings Plan of 1772 is/are correct?
1. Each district was to have a civil and criminal Court.
2. The Judges were helped by native assessors who were skilled in Hindu and Islamic laws.
3. The Sadar Diwani Adalat was mainly meant to settle mercantile cases exceeding ₹10,000 in value.
4. These Courts did not put into place any procedural improvements.
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
(a) 1 and 2 (b) 3and 4 (c) 2 and 4 (d) 2 only
Answer is 1 and 2 are correct
- Each district was to have a civil and criminal court
- The Judges were helped by native assessors who were skilled in Hindu and Islamic laws.
Warren Hastings (06 December 1732- 22 August 1818), was the first Governor of the Presidency of Fort Wiliam. As per Warren Hastings plan a Mofussil Diwani Adalat was established in every district with collector as the Judge. The court was authorized to decide all civil cases like dispute regarding, Properties inherited inheritance, Marriage, Caste, Debts, Disputed Accounts, Contracts, Partnership and Demand of Rent etc. where ever possible religious laws of Muslim as well as Hindus were followed and applied.
As Engish servant who was appointed as a collector did not understand the religious laws. So there was Kazi and Pundits were appointed to help them.