Where is Point Calimere Located?
Point Calimere Located in the Nagapattinam district of the state of Tamil Nadu, India. The Forests of Point Calimere also known the Vedaranyam Forests. It’s formed in the year 1967. The Sanctuary was enlarged and renamed as Point Calimere Wildlife and Bird Sanctuary with area of 377 square km.
Point Calimere is home to the endangered endemic Indian blackbuck and is one of the few known wintering locations of the spoon-billed sandpiper. This place is also associated with the mythological Hindu epic.
There is also some religious, historical or cultural sites in the Sanctuary:
- Ramar Padam – It is small shrine which containing the stone footprints of Lord Rama
- Navakodi Sitthar Aalayam –
- Sanyasin Muniswar Kovil- a shrine between the eastern bank of Muniappan Lake and Kodiakkarai road
- Mattumunian Kovil- It’s a temple in the south of the sanctuary
- Modi Mandapam- This shrine located near Ramar Padam
- Avulaiganni Dargah- Its grave of a Muslim saint
- Shevrayan Kovil- This is shrine to the deities Shevrayan and Soni
- Adivasi Colony- It is a backwards community of Ambalakars
- Chola Lighthouse-
- British Lighthouse
- Kodiakkarai Lighthouse