The ‘Second Plan’ gave priority to?
The “Second Plan” gave priority to Heavy Industries.
Indian economic growth has been delivered by “Five Year Plan” led by Planning Commission of India. The Second Plan between years 1956-1961 was focused on development of India by establishing heavy industries under public sector. Total money allotted for this 5-year plan was 48 Billion rupees. This industrial development became backbone of economic growth of India.
Establishment of Heavy Industries under Second Plan:
- 5 steel plants in Rourkela, Durgapur and Bhilai,
- Hydroelectric power projects
- Railway line extension in North-East India.
- Remarkable increment in coal production.
- Opens Tata Institute of Fundamental Research
- National talent search and scholarship program initiated in 1957