The Functions Performed by ‘Patwari’:
Consider the following two statements about the functions performed by ‘Patwari’ and choose the correct answer from the following:
A: Patwari maintains and updates land records of a village or a group of villages.
B. Patwari is responsible for providing information to the government about the crops grown in the area under her/his jurisdicaiton
- A is false and B is true
- A is true and B is false
- Both A and B are false
- Both A and B are true
Both A and B are true
- Patwari maintains and updates land records of a village or a group of villages.
- Patwari is responsible for providing information to the government about the crops grown in the area under her/his jurisdiction
The Patwari is also known variously name like as Talati, Patel, Karnam, Adhikari, Shanbogaru, etc. The patwari is also called as Village accountant. So we can say that A person who appointed by a local government to maintain the land records for a specific area and also collect the land taxes.
The Patwari system was began in Sher Shah Suri period and further Akbar and British colonial continued this system. The word is derived from the Sanskrit.
In 1814, the duties of the patwari included preserving village records monitoring daily activities and collect information about individuals, including mukhis and village elites.
The main duties of Patwari;
- To maintain the record of the crop grown at every harvest.
- To keeping the record of rights up to date by the punctual record of mutations.
- The account of preparation of statistical returns embodying the information derived from the harvest inspections, register of mutation and record of rights.