UPSC CDS 2015 English Synonyms Questions :
Directions: Each item in this section consists of a sentence with an underlined word following by four words or group of words. Select the word or group of words that is most similar in meaning to the underlined word.
- All these items have been marked down.
(a) reserved (b) packed up (c) reduced in price (d) entered
- How can you have the effrontery to ask for another loan?
(a) right (b) impudence (c) heart (d) courage
- There was a devastating attack on his work.
(a) terrible (b) casual (c) uncthicla (d) motivated
- The committee conducted an exhaustive
(a) time-consuming (b) complicated (c) renewed (d) thorough
- He is just laying up a lot of trouble for himself.
(a) clearing (b) accumulating (c) accepting (d) removing
- He fought the demon with all his might.
(a) heaviness (b) strength (c) density (d) popularity
- Devetees believe that God dwells in their heart.
(a) lives (b) insists (c) travels (d) enters
- Not everyone can respond to difficult question quickly.
(a) discuss (b) argue (c) answer (d) deny
- The sage did not want to be bothered with mundane
(a) wordly (b) meaningless (c) trivial (d) superfluous
- Mountaineering in bad weather is dangerous.
(a) threatening (b) shaky (c) perilous (d) Slippery
- Steller grouping tend to be Steller grouping tend to be unlimited
(a) lengthy (b) heavenly (c) huge (d) infinite
- One who rules with unlimited power is called a fanatic
(a) anarchist (b) autocrat (c) egoist (d) sychophant
- He was not ready with his annual
(a) yearly (b) important (c) monthly (d) permanent
- Society cannot depend upon a fanatic for guidance.
(a) optimist (b) martyr (c) bigot (d) anarchist
- A busy person cannot waste his time on trivial
(a) unimportant (b) rude (c) crude (d) tribal
- Answer: (c ) reduced in the price
- Answer: (b) impudence
- Answer: (a) terrible
- Answer: (d) thorough
- Answer: (b) accumulation
- Answer: (b) strength
- Answer: (a) lives
- Answer: (c) answer
- Answer: (a) worldly
- Answer: (c) perilous
- Answer: (d) infinite
- Answer: (b) autocrat
- Answer: (a) yearly
- Answer: (c) bigot
- Answer: (a) unimportant