UPSC CDS 2015 Fill in the Blanks in English Questions :
Directions: Each of the following sentences has a blank space and four words are given below it. Select the word you consider most appropriate for the blank space and indicate your choice on the Answer Sheet.
- We must not ____ the real and important advances science has made.
(a) oppose (b) question (c) ignore (d) doubt
- These trousers are too long, ____ the length please.
(a) diminisha (b) lesse (c) curtail (d) reduce
- “What did you think of the film?” _____, I didn’t like is very much.”
(a) To be honest (b) Being honest (c) To be fair (d) In honesty
- He ____ in this school since 2010.
(a) studied (b) was studying (c) has been studying (d) had studied
- “His parents died when he was young.” “I think that’s why he has ___ problems.”
(a) too many (b) so many (c) any more (d) much more
- _____ if he is willing to fit in with plans of the group.
(a) There is no objections to him joining the party
(b) There is no objection to his joining the party
(c) There is no objection on his joining the party
(d) There was no objection for his joining the party
- Having secured the highest marks in the class,___
(a) the college had offered him a scholarship
(b) a scholarship was offered him by the college
(c) he was offered a scholarship by the college
(d) a college scholarship had been offered to him
- After they ____ lunch, the boys ran outside.
(a) have eaten (b) had eaten (c) were eating (d) would eat
- As he was _____ and had saved enough money, his family escaped misery when he died suddenly.
(a) prudent (b) preparatory (c) persistent (d) providential
- Some mysteries remain in desert research: especially relating to why some regions, once fertile, are now ____,
(a) blossoming (b) cultivable (c) barren (d) irrigated
- Answer: (c) ignore
- Answer: (b) lessen
- Answer: (a) To be honest
- Answer: (c) has been studying
- Answer: (b) so many
- Answer: (c) there is no objection to his joining the party
- Answer: (b) he offered a scholarship by the college
- Answer: (c) were eating
- Answer: (a) prudent
- Answer: (c) barren