A ‘PAN’ has initially a five-alphabet series like AFZAPK 7190 K, Here P stands for
Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a laminated card which issued by the Income tax department of India, On the laminated card shown ten-digit alphanumeric number.
First five characters are letters and next four are number and last is again letter. Here define PAN alpha and numeric character are
- First three character are alphabetic series running from AAA to ZZZ
- Fourth character of PAN shown up the status of PAN Card holder.
*C – Company
*P – Person
*H – HUF (Hindu Undivided Family)
*F – Firm
*A – Association
*T – AOP (Trust)
*B – Body of Individuals (BOI)
*L – Local Authority
*J – Artificial Juridical Person
*G – Government
- The fifth character of the PAN card represent the last name/surname of care holder.
*the surname in the case the status is “P”
*the name of the Entity, Trust, Society, Organization, HUF etc in all other cases
- Further 6th to 9th character are sequential number from 0001 to 9999
- Last character in the PAN is an alphabetic check digit.