UPSC CDS 2015 English Antonyms Questions :
Directions: Each item in this section consists of a sentence with an underlined word followed by four words or group of words. Select the word or group of words that s most nearly opposite in meaning to the underlined word.
- The officer exaggerated the damage caused by the rowdies.
(a) underwrote (b) condemned (c) ignored (d) underestimated
- The speaker was unable to pacify the crowd.
(a) excite (b) antagonize (c) threaten (d) challenge
- His officer was a very strict
(a) pleasant (b) open hearted (c) lenient (d) indifferent
- Servitude is not helpful for mental growth
(a) Disservice (b) Retirement (c) Freedom (d) Termination
- His attitude to poor people is
(a) commendable (b) miserable (c) equitable (d) desirable
- The guest made derogatory remarks about the food he was served.
(a) interesting (b) complimentary (c) unnecessary (d) cheerful
- He has an aversion to milk.
(a) dear (b) loving (c) liking (d) pet
- The paucity of good teachers is the chief reason for the present condition of these schools.
(a) presence (b) surplus (c) appointment (d) retention
- Don’t you think his account of things was monotonous?
(a) agreeable (b) acceptable (c) varied (d) indecent
- Spurious drugs can prove to be fatal.
(a) Virtuous (b) Inferior (c) Genuine (d) Contemptuous